Gainesville Single Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vision of the Gainesville Single Parents group

Go down

Vision of the Gainesville Single Parents group Empty Vision of the Gainesville Single Parents group

Post by gheilig Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 am

So we had our first meeting on Monday February 20th. While not heavily attended, it was productive. After all, everything has to start somewhere! My name is Greg, and I am the lead facilitator of the group. Cord (the other facilitator) and I started this group because we are both single dads, friends, and co-workers that have each endured some perils of single parenting. We have been able to support each other through some tough times, and we thought there may be many more of you out there that could use some supporting as well. Parenting with a partner is difficult enough, but when you're single (and basically on your own) it makes a tough task even more so. For example, as a single parent, that implies an "ex" is somewhere in the picture than can either help, or hinder our jobs as parents. In my case, it is certainly more of a hindrance. I have been in and out of a court room for the last 8 years (and it isn't quite over) modifying child support, and trying to modify time-sharing; basically fighting (for lack of a better term) for more and more time with my two daughters. As I have undergone this long, drawn out experience, it had gotten so ugly, that I lost a very special relationship with a wonderful woman because I didn't know how to handle what was happening. I chose to make things go away with alcohol. Ultimately, though, the issues did NOT go away, and in fact, made matters much, much worse. If only there were someone in a similar situation that I could talk to. Not necessarily to solve all the issues, but to bounce ideas off of each other. Simply having someone to vent to, I suspect, could have gone quite a long way to helping me keep my sanity. I'm willing to bet that there are many others out there in a situation similar to mine. If we can help a single person avoid what I've had to go through, then this mission will have been a success. However, we can do a great deal more. Hence, the idea to start this group was born. Mine (and Cord's) goal in starting this group is the notion that there is strength in numbers. What binds us together is the fact that we all love our children, and want what is best for them. If we can all lean on each other, it would make the difficult task of single parenting that much easier. John (not his real name) attended the meeting and told his story. He has a beautiful 2 year old daughter. However, John and his ex were not married when she was born. The fact the he is on the birth certificate doesn't matter. Until he files a paternity action with the court, he has ZERO legal rights with regard to his daughter. It's all well and good that John and his ex get along fairly well, so a "friendly" agreement between them seems sufficient with regard to time-sharing, and co-parenting. Not in the eyes of Florida law, however.
Thus far, I have only mentioned legal aspects of single parenting. That is but a single consideration. I'm willing to bet at least one of you out there has had a clogged toilet without the slightest idea of what to do about it, and not an extra penny to pay a plumber. I'd also be willing to bet that someone in the group could help with that. Perhaps you're having car trouble. Again, I suspect someone in the group can lend a hand. Maybe you feel like pulling your hair out because you can't get a sitter just so you can run to the grocery store (because who wants to drag a screaming child with them). Maybe you're struggling to buy those groceries. Cord, and I have developed some creative ways to generate extra income. Ideas that we will gladly share. Possibly your computer has died. Cord and I repair computers for a living. Perhaps you have a court hearing pending. You can't afford an attorney. While I cannot offer legal advice, I certainly have quite a bit of experience in the courtroom, and can at least tell you what to expect. It could be you don't have the kid(s) this weekend, and you're looking for something to do. There is almost certainly someone else in the group thinking exactly the same thing. Maybe you do have the kid(s) this weekend, and you're looking for something to do. I bet someone else in the group is looking for the same thing. Could be you just want someone to talk to. I'm sure there are plenty of members out there that would be willing to simply listen. As you can see, the possibilities are endless. This forum is here to start us all on the journey of helping each other in any number of ways.
The next meeting has not yet been announced, but I am working on it. I will post info both here, and on the Meetup site when details are available. In the meantime, we can use this forum to start to get to know each other, and discover the many endless ways we can support each other so we can be the best parents we can be.

gheilig

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum